Sunday, November 30, 2008

Being Active and Useful

Oh for the constraining love of Jesus to keep us active and useful! (Charles H. Spurgeon)

Come to M, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30).

"Idleness and luxury are the Devil's jackals, and find him abundant prey." (Charles H. Spurgeon)

Here we find a conundrum -- being without works exposes us to great sin. ON the other hand, excess works makes us weary and burdened. The only solution is to be yoked to Jesus. he will engage us in good works that were prepared from us from before the foundation of the world, but at the same time will provide us with the grace and ability to complete those works with a sense of rest.

Lord Jesus, yoke me to Yourself and engage me in the good works that will keep me from the sins of idleness and luxury. But at the same time, refresh me with the infilling of Your Holy Spirit and the conscious awarenss of Your presence.

No comments: