Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A good nation is a great nation.

In 1835, Alexis de Tocqueville wrote: "... Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because America is good and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."

America is ceasing to be good, and her greateness is fading into the forgetfullness of past history.

The thunder of God's righteousness needs to be heard in our Australian pulpits. Only in the context of God's uncompromising holiness can we ever appreciate His unfathomable mercy.

An Australia that walked in the fear of God would be good, and an Australia that was good in its heart would be great.

1 comment:

Steve from the Alice said...

As a citizen of two countries, I weep for what has befallen America (regardless of who wins today's presidential race!), and I fear for what is befalling Australia. I can identify with the Jews' lament in Psalm 137:

By the rivers of Babylon—
there we sat down and wept
when we remembered Zion.

2 There we hung up our lyres
on the poplar trees,

3 for our captors there asked us for songs, and our tormentors, for rejoicing: "Sing us one of the songs of Zion."

4 How can we sing the LORD's song on foreign soil?

5 If I forget you, Jerusalem,
may my right hand forget [its skill].

6 May my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you, if I do not exalt Jerusalem as my greatest joy!