Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The State as God walking on earth.

Sovereignty and Providence are abiding principles. Sovereignty relates to the source of all authority and power, and providence relates to the source of all necessary provision. Whoever, or whatever, is accorded sovereignty makes the rules and divides the spoils.

When people reject the sovereignty of God, and His beneficent providence, sovereignty and providence don't disappear. In the vacuum, the State assumes determining power and dispenses provision at its will.

The problem is that the State consists of fallible, fallen men who are easily corrupted with power, and who are limited by their humanity. In reality, the dispensing of favours by the State leads the recipients of those favours into slavery to the State -- ask anyone who has regularly to fill out welfare forms.

The God who created all things has revealed Himself to be the I AM; the self-existent One; God Almighty. As such, He knows how His creation works best, and so His law provides the limits within which a prosperous and fulfilled life can be lived.

When lived outside those limits, I found that all was against me. Now that I seek to live within those limits (in the power of the provision of God's Holy Spirit), I find that God's soverignty and providence are far wiser and more generous that anything offered by the State.

1 comment:

Steve from the Alice said...

You certainly are a busy writer, Bridge! Your comment, "As such, He knows how His creation works best, and so His law provides the limits within which a prosperous and fulfilled life can be lived. When lived outside those limits, I found that all was against me." is most insightful. Personally, and to my peril, I all-too-often have exceeded the Owner's Manual recommendations as to how best I should operate this vehicle called my body within God-given paramaters. This applies not only to 'spiritual' aspects such as prayer and vocation, but also to physical aspects such as diet, rest, exercise, etc. Being physically (through illness) or emotionally (through various forms of mental illness) incapacitated sometimes IS God's way to have us build His kingdom on earth--He first needs at times to get our attention and mold or remold the builder, in accordance with His will. But sometimes such incapacity simply is the result of the exercise of our idolatrous will, and then repentance (change) is called for, along with a firm put-my-money-where-my-mouth-is belief in the all-encompassing sovereignty of God both to give me my mission in life and also to supply my needs.