Saturday, January 17, 2009

I am found of Him

7 Now the Angel of the LORD found her ... (Genesis 16:7)

I have heard many Evangelicals say, "I have found the Lord!" This is the logical, and necessary conclusion of the Arminian presupposition that pervades Evangelicalism.

Here, it is the Angel of the LORD (Who is the pre-incarnate Lord Jesus Christ) who found Hagar. And so, we are the lost sheep who are found of Him. Jesus does the finding!

The Scriptures teach that we are hopelessly lost, and in fact, are so bound in sin and darkness, that there is no desire in us to seek the Lord.

It is only because of the work of the Lord, from before the foundation of the world, that we are awakened to our need for a Saviour; it is only because He has left the ninety-nine in the sheep fold and sought after us by the work of His Holy Spirit, that we are found by Him; it is only because He has carried us on His shoulders, and brought us into the sheep fold that we understand that we have been saved.

The work of finding is all of Him: it is His election; His conviction of sin; His justification; His adoption; His gift of repentance; His gift of faith; His persevering work in us by His Word and His Holy Spirit; our salvation is all of Him.

Triune God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I humbly acknowledge that I am saved by grace and grace alone. I am a lost sinner, and You have found me, cleansed my by the blood of Your cross. You have placed my upon Your shoulders and brought me home to the knowledge of who You are.

1 comment:

Steve from the Alice said...

Over the years, I have 'lost' God every time I found Him. However, praise God I finally realised that I was not the Searcher but the searched, found and rescued. That makes all the difference in the world! Praise His Sovereign and Holy Name!