Sunday, January 11, 2009

O that My Word were ended!

The words of Job are ended. (Job 31:40b)

In my early Christian days, the words of Jesus were very prominent in my thinking: "But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment." (Matthew 12:35-37) I spoke rarely, because I was also very conscious of the Proverb which teaches: "In the multitude of words there is no lack of sin: but he that refrains his lips is wise." (Proverbs 10:19)

Of recent days I find myself talking much more (it is part of my job to advocate on behalf of clients), and my days are characterised by a multitude of words emanating from my mouth. I am sure that there are many idle words spoken.

Lord, let my words end. "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord." May the words that proceed from my heart, through my mouth, to the world only be Your words, O Lord. I shall hide Your word in my heart that I may not sin against you.

No comments: