Thursday, February 12, 2009

Shall I hear that commendation, "Well done thou good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of thy reward."

So Moses finished the work. (Exodus 40:33)

As I reflect upon my life, I must ashamedly say that I have left behind a trail of unfinished work. Paul was able to say: "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:" (2 Timothy 4:7)

There are consequences for sin. I made some poor decisions in my early Christian life, and have had to live out the consequences arising from those decisions over the duration of the remainder of my life. Just as David died with the testimony that he was a man of God, so he also died with the testimony that he was a man of blood, and could not build the Temple of the Lord; another had to come and fulfil that role in David's place.

Oh the grace of God that forgives us our sins, and makes us suitable to dwell in the presence of God throughout Eternity. Oh the presumption of man to think that there is no continuing consequence for the deliberate and wilful sins that we commit, despite the grace of God and His faithful provision of His Law, His promises, His Holy Spirit and His presence.

My most frequent prayer is that the Lord will help me to fulfil all His purpose for my life between now and the time He calls me to give an account. May I become more and more conformed to His holiness as commanded in His Law, and may I pass on to my children and my children's children a passionate desire to be found faithful and obedient to the Lord throughout their lives.

No comments: