Thursday, April 30, 2009

Shall I be remembered?

15 As for man, his days are like grass; As a flower of the field, so he flourishes. 16 For the wind passes over it, and it is gone, And its place remembers it no more. (Psalm 103:15-16)

Will I be remembered after my life on this earth has come to an end? When the earth is being pushed upon my coffin, will there be others at my graveside? Has anything been accomplished through my life time, for which my life will be memorable?

I read of great men of God who have written books still being read hundreds of years after they have departed this life, have changed the course of history, whose names are preserved in feast days and other holy days. These great men have lived lives that even today, are celebrated. Has anything been achieved in my life that is worthy of mention beyond the graveside eulogy?

It is not mine to know. My responsibility is to do my duty, obey God's commandments, strive for the honour of the name of Jesus Christ in all that I do, say and think, and work for the supreme cause of the extension of the Kingdom of God in time and on earth. The time allotted to me to accomplish these things is short. May God teach me to number my days and do good to all that I can when opportunity presents; remember the righteous poor, help the widow and the orphan, visit those in prison, offer hope to those whose hope has waned, encourage the down-trodden, faithfully declare the Truth of God's Word, and commit my soul to God's eternal keeping.

And if after doing all that, I am not remembered beyond my last breath, then so be it. May Christ receive all the glory. Amen!

1 comment:

Steve from the Alice said...

Should it be my sad honour, I will be there when you farewell us.

Do not hasten to bid me adieu!

Hammer