Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Getting our thoughts straight


7 For as [a man] thinks in his heart, so is he. (Proverbs 23:7)

Jesus also said, out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks; by his words so shall a man be justified, and by his words, so shall a man be condemned. What we think in our hearts has eternal consequences.

I blog to straighten my thoughts. The process of writing brings to the conscious mind what it is that I actually think in my heart. I fear God, so I want my every thought, upon every topic, as it relates to every aspect of my life to be in conformity to the will and purpose of God. That means that my blogging will be a lifetime activity, and a daily activity, because I don't have a lot of time to get my heart thinking straight in all aspects of life as it affects me and my sphere of influence.

Just last night I was invited to a meeting to make a contribution to the future direction of the political framework of our nation, Australia. The bulk of those attending the meeting, as they spoke, evidently have hearts that are "rights" focused, and man-centred. This does not bode well for the future political framework of our nation; it is a rejection of our responsibilities focused, God-centred political heritage. I was able to help one person at our table to re-think their perspective, but two others remained firmly attached to their rights position, one other spoke confusedly, and three of us spoke with conviction in favour of our heritage.

1 comment:

Steve from the Alice said...

Having also been at that meeting, I agree that there was a mixed bag of comments--good, bad and ugly.

I am heartened (though not entirely confident) about three things:

1 Responsibilities got several mentions, along with all the talk of rights.

2 The current commission's mandate does not include anything about constitutional changes, although this prevents no one or no body within government from eventually tinkering with the constitution.

3 The rights of the unborn to be brought into this world unscathed got several mentions.

We must keep battling on!

Hammer

PS Almost forgot the most ludicrous human right put forward last night--the human right to a bitumised road to Santa Teresa. Funny thing is, I don't think the speaker was trying out a comedy routine!