Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Prepare your heart to seek the Lord


14 And he did evil, because he did not prepare his heart to seek the LORD. (II Chronicles 12:14)

What does it mean to "seek the Lord"? How can we prepare our heart to seek the Lord? Why is it that one would do evil if they did not prepare their heart to seek the Lord?

Early in my Christian life I was led to believe that seeking the Lord was the hyper spiritual practice of fasting and praying until God somehow gave a revelation and spiritual experience that transcended you out of this world and enabled you to live in some ethereal plane. I so longed for that experience, but never really was able to attain unto it.

Later I was led to believe that seeking the Lord is simply getting to know His thoughts by understanding His Word; thinking God's thoughts after Him. I have found that this is attainable.

The issue of preparing my heart, is that I need to precede my study of God's word with the notion that God is True, and His word is True Truth as it relates to every context. I must not come to the word of God with the attitude that I am looking for proof for my own ideas. Rather, the Truth of God's Word must be the foundation for any idea, word or lifestyle that I may wish to develop and embrace.

Simply, any thought, word or action that is contrary to the revealed will and law of God is evil; and any life lived separate from, or contrary to, the revealed will and law of God is an evil life. Even nice things that are not lived out of a commitment to the word of God are evil.

The Bible says, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?" "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Our only hope is the Lord Jesus Christ, and through Him, having our minds renewed by the washing of the water by His Word -- the Bible.

2 comments:

Steve from the Alice said...

Very good perspective on the matter. You would not the only one who has beaten themselves over the head, as it were, by agonising prayer and fasting, trying to force God to display Himself and His glory. Prayer and fasting do have their place, of course, but given that the Sword of the Spirit is the Word of God, what more would we expect God to be giving us than His very Living Word?

Bridge said...

This is why I have such high regard for Bible Translators and such deep respect for their work - it is fundamental and critical.

God bless you, Hammer.