Tuesday, June 23, 2009

We have cast the Lord behind our backs


... you have not been as My servant David, who kept My commandments and who followed Me with all his heart, to do only what was right in My eyes; 9 but you have done more evil than all who were before you, for you have gone and made for yourself other gods and molded images to provoke Me to anger, and have cast Me behind your back (I Kings 14:8-9)

I cannot shake the thought from my mind that we are in big trouble, as a nation. We have broken covenant with our God, Whose covenant we cut at Federation: "... humbly relying upon the blessing of Almighty God." It is a serious thing to break covenant with God; His vengeance is without pity: as it was in AD 70 upon Jerusalem, as it was upon the Roman Empire in 476, as it was upon Byzantium in 1453, as it was upon Russia in 1917, as it has been in many other parts of Christendom where the covenant of God has not been taken seriously, and God has been provoked to anger by the raising up of idols, and He has been cast behind the backs of His people through the neglect of His Holy Law.

Our God is no respecter of persons:

'Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, "Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: but in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him."' (Acts 10:34-35)

On the other hand:

"And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; ..." (II Thessalonians 1:7-9)

The idolatry of self worship is exemplified in the move towards the entrenchment of a Charter of Rights in Australia. Such a Charter can only lead to an even greater disintegration of our moral heritage.

This morning, I wish to join with all who sigh and cry over the abominations that are being performed in our nation. Perhaps the Lord will have mercy upon us.

"Oh Lord, in Your judgements remember mercy."

I fear God!

1 comment:

Steve from the Alice said...

This passage from Ezekiel 21 was in my reading this morning:

Babylon, the Sword of God

1 And the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 2 “Son of man, set your face toward Jerusalem, preach against the holy places, and prophesy against the land of Israel; 3 and say to the land of Israel, ‘Thus says the LORD: “Behold, I am against you, and I will draw My sword out of its sheath and cut off both righteous and wicked from you. 4 Because I will cut off both righteous and wicked from you, therefore My sword shall go out of its sheath against all flesh from south to north, 5 that all flesh may know that I, the LORD, have drawn My sword out of its sheath; it shall not return anymore.”’ 6 Sigh therefore, son of man, with a breaking heart, and sigh with bitterness before their eyes. 7 And it shall be when they say to you, ‘Why are you sighing?’ that you shall answer, ‘Because of the news; when it comes, every heart will melt, all hands will be feeble, every spirit will faint, and all knees will be weak as water. Behold, it is coming and shall be brought to pass,’ says the Lord GOD.”
8 Again the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 9 “Son of man, prophesy and say, ‘Thus says the LORD!’ Say:


‘ A sword, a sword is sharpened
And also polished!
10 Sharpened to make a dreadful slaughter,
Polished to flash like lightning!
Should we then make mirth?
It despises the scepter of My son,
As it does all wood.
11 And He has given it to be polished,
That it may be handled;
This sword is sharpened, and it is polished
To be given into the hand of the slayer.’
12 “ Cry and wail, son of man;
For it will be against My people,
Against all the princes of Israel.
Terrors including the sword will be against My people;
Therefore strike your thigh.
13 “ Because it is a testing,
And what if the sword despises even the scepter?
The sceptershall be no more,”

says the Lord GOD.
14 “ You therefore, son of man, prophesy,
And strike your hands together.
The third time let the sword do double damage.
It is the sword that slays,
The sword that slays the great men,
That enters their private chambers.
15 I have set the point of the sword against all their gates,
That the heart may melt and many may stumble.
Ah! It is made bright;
It is grasped for slaughter:
16 “ Swords at the ready!
Thrust right!
Set your blade!
Thrust left—
Wherever your edge is ordered!
17 “ I also will beat My fists together,
And I will cause My fury to rest;
I, the LORD, have spoken.”

I also read this from Psalm 107:33-43:

33 He turned rivers into a desert,
flowing springs into thirsty ground,

34 and fruitful land into a salt waste,
because of the wickedness of those who lived there.

35 He turned the desert into pools of water
and the parched ground into flowing springs;

36 there he brought the hungry to live,
and they founded a city where they could settle.

37 They sowed fields and planted vineyards
that yielded a fruitful harvest;

38 he blessed them, and their numbers greatly increased,
and he did not let their herds diminish.

39 Then their numbers decreased, and they were humbled
by oppression, calamity and sorrow;

40 he who pours contempt on nobles
made them wander in a trackless waste.

41 But he lifted the needy out of their affliction
and increased their families like flocks.

42 The upright see and rejoice,
but all the wicked shut their mouths.

43 Whoever is wise, let him heed these things
and consider the great love of the LORD."

Consider the Murray-Darling basin. Consider also Lake Eyre.

Hammer