Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pray as Jesus prayed


(Isaiah) ... lift up your prayer for the remnant that is left. (II Kings 19:4)

In my time I have heard much foolish praying. At times I have heard people pray things like: "Oh Lord, heal everyone in the hospital; save everyone in the world," and such like foolishness.

Jesus Himself said:

9 “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. 10 And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. (John 17:9-10).

If Jesus Himself restricted His praying to the remnant, then we are elevating ourselves to a holier position than Jesus to pray beyond that which He prayed for.

1 comment:

Steve from the Alice said...

Such comments are going to make you about as popular as a pimple on prom night!

Quite frankly, at one and the same time, it focuses one's evangelism while taking the pressure of of our efforts. We need only obediently respond as God places us in opportunities where people ask us the reason for our hope.

I've always wondered about how the gift of evangelism fits in with the guilt most of us feel that we aren't out there witnessing 24/7 to every passer by. Your blog provides the answer. Leave verbal evangelism to those particularly gifted and called to that ministry. Otherwise, live out the kingdom within the family and at work. Might be over-simplifying the matter somewhat, but guilt-driven efforts to make me cast pearls before swine never got me far.

Hammer