Saturday, August 8, 2009

Careful how you handle the Law of God


... those who handle the law did not know Me ... (Jeremiah 2:8)

For those who do not know the Lord, the Law of God is a dangerous instrument. On the other hand, when we know the Lord, then the Law of God is a beautiful revelation of the holiness and grace of the Triune God. Without the knowledge of the Lord, the Law of God will drive us to distraction. Its demands are relentless, but sin frustrates our every effort to answer the Law's demands: "The good that I would do, I do not; and the evil that I would not do, I find myself doing. Oh wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from this body of death?" The Law of God shall not save me. There is only one hope of salvation, and that is a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. He, and He alone, is the only hope of salvation.

However, when I come to know the Lord, truly, I also come to love the things that He loves, and desire to do the things that I see Him doing. Jesus passionately loves the holiness of God, and the glory of God. That holiness is revealed in the holy Law of God: "I delight to do Thy will, Oh Lord, and to walk with Thee is not grievous unto me."

Knowing the Lord will enable me to handle the Law aright.

No comments: