Friday, August 14, 2009

The Lord's Hand is not slack, though He takes time to act


... this word came from the LORD, saying, 2 “Thus says the LORD: ‘Stand in the court of the LORD’s house, and speak to all the cities of Judah, which come to worship in the LORD’s house, all the words that I command you to speak to them. Do not diminish a word. 3 Perhaps everyone will listen and turn from his evil way, that I may relent concerning the calamity which I purpose to bring on them because of the evil of their doings.’ 4 And you shall say to them, ‘Thus says the LORD: “If you will not listen to Me, to walk in My law which I have set before you, 5 to heed the words of My servants the prophets whom I sent to you, both rising up early and sending them (but you have not heeded), 6 then I will make this house like Shiloh, and will make this city a curse to all the nations of the earth."'” (Jeremiah 26:1-6)


The Lord is not wanting to visit His wrath upon His people. The Lord's longing is to richly bless His people, and cause them to walk under an open heaven. The Lord is patient, longsuffering, and will not act immediately, giving room for His people to repent and amend their ways.


However, be not fooled. God is not mocked. When those who are called the people of God continue in their lawlessness, and spurn the grace of God, then eventually God will act, and act decisively against all who behave lawlessly.


Let us challenge one another with the word of the Lord. Am I walking in sanctification, or am I being lazy in my spiritual disciplines? These questions are very important.

No comments: