Tuesday, October 20, 2009

So, what do the signs of our time indicate?


Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and testing Him asked that He would show them a sign from heaven. He answered and said to them, “When it is evening you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red’; and in the morning, ‘It will be foul weather today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ Hypocrites! You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times. A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.” And He left them and departed. (Matthew 16:1-4)

Much of Christendom has walked away from a conviction that God's Law still applies, and that departures from the revealed will of God (as enunciated in the Law of God) will result in God's judgements on earth and in time -- before the final judgement at the Consummative return of the Lord Jesus Christ.

If we truly fear God, then the signs of our time are obvious. We are in a period of history that reflects many of the qualities that exemplified the period leading up to the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple in AD 70. That period was a time when there was a transference of Kingdom responsibilities and positive sanctions from one nation to another; from the Jewish nation, to the nation of king/priests called the church:

"Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit. He who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed." (Matthew 21:43-44)

Every manifestation of the church in the world at this moment is not in rebellion against the revealed will of God, but many local expressions are, and many denominational confederations of churches are. As Peter wrote:

For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God? (I Peter 4:17)

I fear God. I believe in the ongoing eschatalogical visitations of the Lord Jesus Christ, looking for the fruit of the Kingdom of God amongst those who call themselves, "Christians".

19 Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God!
Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men.
20 For they speak against You wickedly;
Your enemies take Your name in vain.
21 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
22 I hate them with perfect hatred;
I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties;
24 And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139:19-24)

No comments: