Sunday, April 4, 2010

Lord, teach me the fear of Your name


You, Yourself, are to be feared; and who may stand in Your presence when once You are angry? You caused judgment to be heard from heaven; the earth feared and was still, when God arose to judgment, to deliver all the oppressed of the earth. [Selah] Surely the wrath of man shall praise You; with the reminder of wrath You shall gird Yourself. (Psalm 76:7-9)

A jealous husband is a fit of rage. Woe unto the wife who commits infidelity. God, Himself, is a husband, and His wife is the bride of Christ, the Church. How does God respond to a church that prostitutes itself to other gods, and walks about full of all kinds of iniquity with no shame or remorse for unfaithfulness?

On two separate occasions, over the last couple of days, I have heard of infidelities in the church; adulterous relationships perpetrated by both men and women who are supposedly "upstanding church members."

It sends shivers up my spine, as I imagine and anticipate the rage of an angry God. His rage can be placated, but there needs to be deep repentance, with restitution. Yes, God is quick to forgive, but only such as repent of their evil ways.

I am very much afraid of the greasy grace that I hear too often being peddled as "the Gospel." There is so little of the fear of God in the ranks of too many churches that I have been associated with.

Oh that I may know the fear of God! May I walk in such reverential awe of Him, that I will love Him with all my heart, all my soul, all my mind and with all my strength.

No comments: